The Somali STEM Society invites the submission of papers for the 2nd Annual Somali STEM Summit, to be held in Mogadishu, Somalia, from 15-17 July 2019. The theme of this year’s Summit is STEM Skills Development and Sustainability.
The papers are divided into two major categories:
- Academic papers
- Practitioner presentations from STEM Skills Experts, Innovators and Entrepreneurs
The Somali STEM Summit is held annually in Somalia. This year’s Summit will be held in Mogadishu, , with participation expected from all Somali regions, the diaspora and the wider region of the Horn of Africa. The goal of this Summit is to inculcate STEM culture through collaborative approaches between key stakeholders and beneficiaries, as well as to showcase scientific innovations and energise a generation of problem-solvers needed to stimulate many sectors in the Somali economy.
This Summit will bring together STEM professionals, educators, entrepreneurs, innovators and students with the aim of advancing STEM education to spur economic activity.
- Day 1 (15 July) – STEM Skills Development (Youth Skills Day)
- Day 2 (16 July) – Quality STEM Education, Innovation and Economic Development (Keynote Speakers and Presentation of Papers)
- Day 3 (17 July) – Sustaining STEM Development in Somalia (STEM in Context of UN Sustainable Development Goals)
Specification 1: Call for Academic Papers
Proposals must address one or more of the following propositions:
- Proposition 1: Focus on interdisciplinary approaches to STEM teaching and learning necessary for developing scientific knowhow and hands-on experiences essential in the job market (STEM Skills).
- Proposition 2: The importance of innovative approaches that use technology to offer STEM teaching and prepare students for success.
- Proposition 3: The role of technological innovation in driving the automation and globalisation of labour; the reasons why STEM academics and students need to use flexible and resilient approaches in teaching and learning to comply with the fast-evolving workplace.
- Proposition 4: The importance of developing the next generation of STEM disciplines in Somalia by adopting strong individual and team leadership.
Specification 2: A Call for Practitioner Presentations from STEM Experts, Innovators and Entrepreneurs
We invite submission of papers in the STEM field, specifically those in the technology innovation sector. This call also invites local and regional entrepreneurs within the STEM spectrum to be part of this great event.
If you wish to submit a paper, please complete this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uXJXcPbLAmeS-H-GlXP7-9Xo9vqCKsRvGqqbF2N1gB4/edit
If you only wish to attend the Summit, please complete this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_n3v_dsOv9XKQCi1Gm_ZppTRj5SjqKr3JGpgco4hPus/edit?vc=0&c=0&w=1