The Somali STEM Summit – Nurturing and Enhancing Knowledge and Skills in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
In July each year we host the Somali STEM Summit to enhance knowledge and skills and contribute to the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics in Somalia.
The Somali STEM Summit seeks to bring together academics, researchers, professionals, entrepreneurs and students to participate actively in STEM activities. The Summit’s standing slogan is “Nurturing and Enhancing Knowledge and Skills in STEM”, while this year’s theme focuses on STEM Skills Development and Sustainability.
The participants will gain a lot in terms of STEM knowledge and skills and their application in economic development, empowerment and sustainability. This annual event marks an important day in the life of Somali innovators, inventors, scientists, entrepreneurs and critical thinkers from the public and private sectors.
This year’s three-day Summit will be held from 15-17 July 2019. The goal of this Summit is to inculcate STEM culture through collaborative approaches between key stakeholders and beneficiaries, as well as showcasing scientific innovations and energizing a generation of problem-solvers needed to stimulate many sectors in the Somali economy.
STEM academic subjects form a strong knowledge-base that is critical to the effective performance of many modern jobs that require a strong understanding of and competence in STEM subjects.
The aim of the Somali STEM Summit is to revive, evolve, encourage and assist the next generation of Somali scientists, technologists, engineers and mathematicians to create, innovate and excel in their specialised fields of study or practice. In this way we will collectively help improve the overall quality of STEM education, business and industry in Somalia and the country’s effective participation in global STEM trends.
- To create unity and integration in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
- To involve students, teachers/academics, researchers and professionals from diverse STEM fields in science contests, exhibitions, plenary sessions and presentations
- To encourage students and youth to develop their interest in and curiosity for learning STEM subjects through exhibits, plenary sessions, presentations, symposiums, career-fairs, workshops, competitions and STEM Fairs.
- Day 1 (15 July) – STEM Skills Development (Youth Skills Day)
- Day 2 (16 July) – Quality STEM Education, Innovation and Economic Development (Keynote Speakers and Presentation of Papers)
- Day 3 (17 July) – Sustaining STEM Development in Somalia (STEM in Context of UN Sustainable Development Goals)
For more information about the 2nd Annual Somali STEM Summit (2019), please download this ‘Information Booklet’ here
There is a call for conference papers. If you wish to submit a paper, please complete this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uXJXcPbLAmeS-H-GlXP7-9Xo9vqCKsRvGqqbF2N1gB4/edit
If you wish only to attend the Summit, please complete this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_n3v_dsOv9XKQCi1Gm_ZppTRj5SjqKr3JGpgco4hPus/edit?vc=0&c=0&w=1
Last year’s Somali STEM Summit Information Booklet can be downloaded here